I have always wanted to upload some of my works in instagram. I envisioned it to be a new way for The Filipino Channel to connect to its subscribers abroad.
I imagine greetings from our channel’s prominent stars, simple branding idents, snippets of our station ID and some of our 15 second logo animations filling our news feeds.
It would be awesome for our subscribers to follow us here and be updated about us on their smart phones.
Hence I started experimenting on how to upload some of our existing videos to the camera rolls of my Iphone 5 and into my instagram’s feed.
Here you can see I have successfully uploaded two videos from After Effects.
I had a little bit of trouble uploading my other videos from my macbook before because most of the videos I rendered on my macbook were in Quicktime format and had a *.mov extension.
If you were to try uploading these file types to your instagram, the app would close and crash.
So I tried to a few other ways to do it until I came up with a pretty solid workflow. And I’d be happy to share it with everyone in this post.
How to upload Adobe After Effects Videos to Instagram.
- Open Adobe After Effects (I’m using Adobe After Effects CC). And then Import the video you want to upload to instagram in your AE Project file.
- Then, create a new composition and add your video.(Make sure the length of your video is under 15seconds).
- Next, while your comp is selected. Go to Composition >Add to Adobe Media Encoder.
- Your Adobe Media Encoder now opens up and adds your AE project to Queue (You are prompted to save your project before your composition is added to Media Encoder. Just click ok and remember the root folder which you assigned your video to be rendered).
- Currently, your rendered settings is set to save your video as Quicktime with a *.mov extension. This file is too big to be uploaded in instagram. Lets change the settings to H.264 (Click the upper left arrow of your render settings and switch it to “H.264”) and by doing this your video will be save to a *.mp4 file extension.
- We have now set the video to be rendered at H.264 with a file extension of *.mp4. Click Render. (The green Play Button on the upper right)
- Next, Sync your I-phone to your Macbook and open up I-Photo. On I-Photo, go to File>Create New Album.
- I already created my new album earlier, I named it “Campaign Videos”. You can see it on the left side of the bar on my screen shot. The next thing we need to do is just to open up my finder window and find my rendered file from Adobe Media Encoder; and drag & drop your video to your newly created album.
- Next, go to Itunes and sync your Iphone to your newly created album. Make sure to check “include videos”. Then click “SYNC”. This uploads your video to your camera roll in your Iphone.
- Next, open up your Instagram App. Add a new video and select it from your camera roll. Then click next to upload.
That’s it! I hope this tutorial is a big help to anyone who wants to upload their edited videos from their laptop to instagram.